Friday, May 21, 2010

Zee Pug Knows It

Huffing and puffing, we made it to the Alaska Airlines service desk.

"I heard we have a top secret message!," I said, panting. "It's from my nephew Adele and my niece Owen. I mean my nephew Owen and my niece Adele!" The man working at the counter looked at me from behind the smallest round  glasses I'd ever seen. Behind the tiny glasses, his grey eyes were huge.

When he saw Snuffy put his little cowboy-boot-clas paws on the counter, the man's grey eyes got even huger while the glasses seemed to grow smaller.

"Is zat a pug?" he asked with a strong French accent. "J'adore les pugs!" Then he started petting Snuffy and whispering things in French into Snuffy's little black ear.

I often noticed that strangers would talk to Snuffy and not me.  For example, if we were going for a walk, strangers would come up to us, bend down, and start chatting with Snuffy - saying things like "Oh, aren't you cute!" or "What's your name?" All the while they wouldn't say a word to me.

Usually it didn't bother me. But today I was very impatient to know what the secret message from Owen and Adele was!

Snuffy, meanwhile, was wagging his tail. He seemed to be listening very carefully to what the man with the tiny glasses was saying. After a few minutes, Snuffy finally said "Merci beaucoup!" with a very bad French accent. I was so shocked that my mouth fell wide open. I had no idea Snuffy knew how to speak French.

Then Snuffy turned to me and said, "Allons-y! I mean, let's go! We have to hurry!"

"But--" I looked back and forth from Snuffy to the man with the tiny glasses - "We didn't get the secret message from Owen and Adele."

The man behind the counter winked at me with one of his large grey yes. "Oh yes, you did," he said. "Zee pug knows it!"

I looked back at Snuffy. He was so excited now that his cowboy hat was askew. "Well?!" I said impatiently. "What is the message?"

"It's top secret!" he said. "But if you follow me, I'll take you to them! Then he leaned over and whispered in my ear. "I'll give you a hint. They didn't arrive by air. They arrived by water -- under the water!"

No comments:

Post a Comment