Monday, May 3, 2010

On the way to the airport

Finally I'd gotten my suitcase all zipped up and Snuffy and I were in the car. We started heading toward the airport. 

Snuffy and I were both very excited for our dude ranch vacation with Owen and Adele. I even had a secret plan for something we were going to do at the dude ranch that I hadn't told Snuffy about.

"Wait!" cried Snuffy, as we got closer to the airport.  "Turn here!"

"What do you mean? That's not the turnoff for the airport!"

"I know that," said Snuffy. "Do you think I'm dumb? We're going to Renton Western Wear so I can get a cowboy hat!

"Oh - right," I said. And I was just barely able to turn off the freeway without causing an accident. Several horns honked at me.

"You should be a little more careful," sniffed Snuffy.

"Excuse me, you're the one who told me to make that turn at the very last minute! Besides, I'd like to see you try to drive."

"Pugs don't drive."

"I'm sure there's a good reason for that," I muttered.

"Wait!" cried Snuffy. "Turn here! This is the way to Renton Western Wear!"

Again, I made the turn quickly and several cars honked at me. Honk honk honk HONK!

"You're going to get us killed," said Snuffy.

"Are we almost at Renton Western Wear?" I said, exasperated. Because we're going to be late to pick Owen and Adele up at the airport!"

"Yes, yes, we're almost there - WAIT - turn HERE!" yelled Snuffy. The tires screeched as I swerved into the parking lot. An old man in a cowboy hat and fancy leather boots shook his fist at us.  I couldn't hear what he was saying but I knew that whatever it was, it wasn't nice.

Snuffy rolled down his window. "Sir, I'm very sorry about that," he said. "Aunt Becky is a terrible driver. That is why I wear my doggie seatbelt at all times - to protect myself in case of an accident. Will you forgive her for almost ending your life prematurely?" Snuffy looked at the old man with his big brown eyes.

The old man just stared at Snuffy. After a few seconds, his mean frown went away. All the extra wrinkles in his forehead disappeared. Then, before I knew it, he smiled at Snuffy. Not only that - he reached into his pocket and brought out a doggie treat.

As he held his hand out to Snuffy, he looked at me sternly. The smile went away. "Young lady, you better watch your driving. This here is a very cute pug and you want to be careful, you hear? Plus, you almost ran right over my new boots."

"Yes sir, I'm very sorry," I said. I didn't even bother trying to explain to him how it was all Snuffy's fault that we practically ran over his new boots.

Snuffy just scarfed up the treat with a very loud chomping noise. CHOMP CHOMP SLURP!

 "You take care now," said the old man, patting Snuffy gently on the head and smiling again. Then he walked away, admiring his new boots.

"All right," said Snuffy, unbuckling his seat belt. "I hope you brought your wallet, because it's SHOPPING TIME!"

No comments:

Post a Comment